The commission of crime exclusion can apply to both accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) and term life insurance policies.
Some examples of denied life insurance claim contested cases with a commission of crime exclusion are:
- Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Claim Denied: A dispute with an insurer for allegedly denying a valid AD&D claim based on wrongful exclusions, including the intoxication exclusion. The son died from an accidental fall, and the insurer wrongfully denied his claim based on the presence of alcohol in his blood. The intoxication exclusion did not conform with state insurance law.
- AIG Life Insurance Claim Denied: A dispute with a life insurance company with respect to a crime exclusion in a life insurance policy barring coverage for the insured’s death by gunshot wound during a police raid at his home. The insured was not committing or attempting to commit a felony at the time of his death, and no causal connection between his alleged criminal activity and his death.
- Prudential Life Insurance Claim Denied: A dispute with a life insurer regarding a crime exclusion in an AD&D policy barring coverage for the insured’s death by electrocution while attempting to steal from a power station. The insured’s conduct didn’t constitute a felony under state law, and there was no clear and unambiguous language in the policy excluding coverage for deaths resulting from misdemeanors.
- Metlife Life Insurance Claim Denied: A dispute with respect to the insurer’s denial of his death benefit claim based on the drug exclusion and the commission of a crime exclusion regarding son dying from natural causes and misinterpretation of autopsy report.
- Transamerica Life Insurance Claim Denied: A dispute with the insurer over denial of his death benefit claim based on the commission of a crime exclusion regarding father dying from a heart attack and insurer using tax evasion as a reason for denial.
- Protective Life Insurance Claim Denied: A dispute with insurance company as to whether the crime exclusion applied to the insured’s death by drowning while fishing without a license.
Whatever your facts may be, our life insurance lawyers will fight it!
Free Consultation 800-330-2274